Over the past several years I’ve developed a tendency toward over-organization (and have even tip-toed into the territory of pleasantly neurotic). When I can’t sleep (a problem Rip Van Winkle never had), I relax by unfolding stacks of t-shirts just so I can refold them. I make to-do lists that include “make to-do list” as the first item. And this afternoon, in a surge of Christmas cheer, I divided a container of multi-colored sprinkles one by one to extract the reds and greens. And though that is definitely forty minutes of my life I’ll never get back, the result was a perfect addition to this Christmassy dessert!
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup molasses
1 egg, room temp
1/2 cup applesauce
1 tbsp. Cognac
1/2 tbsp. vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. salt
1 cup hot water
- Cream butter and sugar in standing mixer until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add in molasses, egg, applesauce, Cognac, vanilla extract.
- Sift flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, salt into the standing mixture.
- Finish by gradually adding hot water and mixing on low speed until smooth.
- Bake in lined muffin tin 350 degree oven for about 25-30 minutes OR in a cake pan for a bit longer (until toothpick comes out clean).
Cognac Cream Cheese Icing
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temp
8 oz. cream cheese, room temp
1 oz. Cognac
2 cups powdered sugar (or more, as needed for thickness)
Pinch of salt
- Beat butter, cream cheese, Cognac, and salt until smooth. Gradually add in powdered sugar and beat until smooth and thick.
- Pipe onto cooled terrines or cupcakes and garnish with Christmas sprinkles!