About 6 cleaned squid, sliced into ¼-inch rings
5 cups vegetable oil
1 cup seltzer water, ice cold
1 egg white
1 cup flour
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp. black pepper
Juice one lemon
½ cup mayonnaise
Salt and pepper, to taste
Fresh chives to garnish
- Heat vegetable oil to 375 degrees.
- Whisk lemon juice and mayo. Sprinkle with chives and set aside.
- Combine flour, cornstarch, salt, and pepper. Whisk egg white and combine it and the dry ingredients with seltzer until just combined (it’s okay if the batter is lumpy).
- Using chopsticks or a fork, coat each squid ring in the batter and fry for about a minute and a half (until light golden brown), turning midway through cooking.
- Serve immediately with lemon mayo.
Enjoy squid tempura with Mitch Albom’s Tuesdays With Morrie, and check in at http://warandpeach.com for future recipes!